Addition or removal of master nodes from the controller-provisioned and managed clusters is possible as a Day 2 operational task
This workflow is supported for manually provisioned clusters.
Manually Provisioned Clusters¶
Add Master Nodes¶
- Create required VMs or instances
- Sign into the Web Console
- Select the cluster and click on nodes. Here you can view a visual representation displaying the count of nodes categorized by their respective statuses and k8s version of each node (highlighted in different colors)
- Click "Add Node" and Follow the Node Installation Instructions to install the bootstrap agent on the VM
Users can optionally enable "auto approval" for new master nodes to join the cluster. Enable the auto approval "toggle" in the cluster configuration page as shown in the screenshot below.
- Click on "Configure" to configure the node with Master Role so that it can be joined as a master node to the cluster
- Click Save
- In the Nodes page, click Provision Approved/Failed Nodes button to provision all the Approved/ Provision Failed / Pretest Failed nodes simultaneously
- It will take couple minutes for the additional master node to be provisioned.
- Once the node is provisioned, it will join the cluster with the Master role
When all nodes have been provisioned, and there are no pending nodes for provisioning, the Provision Approved/Failed Nodes button will not be available on this page.
Delete Master Nodes¶
- Select the cluster and click on nodes
- Click on "DELETE" button of the node you would like to delete and confirm the deletion
Once the process is kicked off, the controller will drain the node by rescheduling pods on other nodes and then remove the master node from the cluster.
When the node deletion is done, the master node will be removed from the cluster
For manually provisioned clusters, it is the customer's responsibility to deprovision the VM or Instance after deleting the master node from the cluster.