Cost Governance allows creation of chargeback groups to track and bill internal teams based on resource consumption. Chargeback/Showback groups can be any logical grouping of resources and these groups can be created based on project, clusters, namespaces and/or labels.
Getting to the Chargeback Group¶
- Login to the controller
- Click on System and select Cost Governance
Chargeback Group page appears.
- Click Policy and to enable/disable the Share unallocated cost
Enabling it allows you to select the sharing type
Share based on Allocation: Allows for distribution in accordance with the ratio determined by each tenant's computed use. For example, if a cluster has 2 namespaces with 30% and 40% allocated, the unallocated cost (remaining 30%) gets divided in the same ratio.
- Share based on tenancy: Allows to equally share the shared cost with all the tenants of a cluster. For example, if a cluster has 2 namespaces, the remaining 30% unallocated cost gets divided equally.
Note: Sharing the unallocated cost is optional
A chargeback group is a collection of resources forming a logical entity in a customer's organization. These would typically be based on namespaces and/or specific ‘labels’.
Users have the flexibility in the platform to create chargeback groups based on a variety of parameters. Org Admin can create chargeback groups.
Create Chargeback Group¶
Perform the below steps to create a chargeback group
- Click Create Chargeback Group under Groups. New Chargeback page appears
- Provide a name for the group and select a project to enable sub-selection of clusters/namespaces/labels or a combination/exclusion of all to form a chargeback group
- Select the required cluster, namespace, and labels available within the selected project, and click Include. You can do as many as inclusions based on the requirement
- Use Exclude button to remove a specific cluster, namespace, label or any combination from this group
- Click Save
On successful creation, you can view the newly created group in the Groups page as shown below
Generate Cost Reports¶
Once a chargeback group is created, users can generate cost reports at their convenience.
- Under the Groups, click the ellipsis icon of a specific chargeback group and select Reports
- Select a time period (Start and End date) and click Generate.
The report generation process is compute intensive and it may take a few minutes to generate the report. Once the report is ready, click the download button to download the report in csv format